Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chocolate Cupcakes with Cherries and Cream Cheese Frosting

I had some cherries that I needed to use up.  I was already planning on baking some belated birthday cupcakes for a friend so I decided to add some cherries to the batter to see how they turned out.   I was sure that the cherries would sink to the bottom, but this batter is pretty thick so they baked up beautifully.   


The cake was tender and sweet and the cherries added a surprise pop of flavor.


I thought about trying these cupcakes again and adding a little cherry extract but a certain group of taste testers seemed to think that the cupcakes were good "as is".  I topped these cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting.   I like this one from Annie's Eats.  It is smooth, creamy and not too sweet.  The tang from the frosting complimented the cupcakes nicely.   I also must admit, I would be a huge fan of chocolate frosting on these cupcakes.


If you want to try this recipe for yourself- I will tell you a secret. I made these cupcakes using a boxed cake mix.   I doctor them up so they taste better, but when I don't have the time or energy, I have found that boxed cake mixes are the best.  Besides- yellow cake mix is my favorite and I have yet to find a made from scratch yellow cake that tastes as good as the boxed kind.  Not that I mind taste testing that theory- so send me some cake to try.

If you want to mix up a boxed cake mix. trying substituting one stick of melted butter for the oil.   Or try adding some sour cream or even an instant pudding mix.  You will find that your cake mix becomes thick and luscious (why yes- I did just use the word luscious).  You will never want to eat another runny cake mix again.  I also tend to favor Duncan Hines cake mixes.

Hope everyone is enjoying the cooler weather.  I, for one, am loving this fall preview.

Smiles,
Marci


3 comments:

  1. Marci, those look delicious. Your friends are very lucky to have you :) now keep baking and show us some more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those sound yummy! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg these sound amazing!! feel free to send some treats to cincinnati!!

    ReplyDelete