Friday, September 14, 2012

Sweet Corn Salad

I recently tried a sweet corn salad for lunch from a local carry out and decided that I needed(!) to recreate this salad at home.  The flavors and sweetness were amazing and the salad was simple.   Sometimes the best salads and recipes are the simplest ones- they allow all of the flavors and textures to come together.    This salad is no exception.

First you will want to chop some basil, cube some fresh mozzarella and half some baby tomatoes.   These are a sweet gold tomato, but those darling red cherry tomatoes would taste amazing as well.      


Then cook up some fresh sweet corn.  I simply boiled mine on the stove for 5 minutes or so until the corn was tender and just cooked.  Then allow your corn to cool to the point where you can remove the kernels.  Just a  small personal note here.  Does anyone else find that corn removal is messy?  I found my entire counter covered in corn juice and small bits of cooked kernel.  I was tempted to lick the counter.  But I didn't.


Then combine the corn, tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, pepper and a touch of sugar in a bowl and toss.


Amazing.   The corn bursts open in your mouth and the mellow mozzarella and bright taste of the tomatoes are amazing.


I made this recipe as a small side for me- so you may want to double it if you are making it for a crowd.   It makes 4-5 servings.  

Recipe:
4-5 ears cooked corn
1 8 oz mozzarella ball, cubed
1 container of (10.5 ounces) cherry tomatoes
2-3 TBS chopped fresh basil (to taste)
pepper to taste
1-2 tsp sugar (optional)

Hurry up and make this salad before all of the sweet corn is gone.   Better yet- make some and invite me on over for dinner.   I'll bring dessert.  

Smiles, 
Marci

No comments:

Post a Comment